Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Keepin' it Real!"


Alrighty!  For those who may have a hard time reading the scrawl on this little piece of paper, I will help you out.  It says, "I Love My Mommy.  My Daddy Loves Dogs."  This scathing observation was recorded by our resident poet, Doodle, when she was 4 years old.  We laughed about it for days, but in my infinite wisdom I tore the prose from the notebook in which she had scribbled it and saved it on the refridgerator.  I know you're thinking, "What a sentimental mom!"  Please don't get confused!  As the laughter rang through the house, I knew that this seemingly benign piece of whimsy would someday serve as evidence.  Evidence to dispel the apparently popular conception that we in the Cox house are simply CRAZY for each other!  Well, I mean.....we ARE crazy for each other....but, even a CHILD can see that there is one love that trumps all.....dogs.  Devon....loves....dogs.  This is something that goes unquestioned at SRB.  Now the actual relevance of this tidbit of information will reveal itself in due course.  But I needed to set this up properly so you know from whence the rest will come!

Now, let me be fair.  I love dogs too!  I mean it's serious.  For Valentine's Day this year I was still recouperating from the flu.  Devon asked me what I wanted and the only thing I could come up with was some Italian food and us sitting in front of the television watching The Westminster Kennel Club Show!  Seriously!  That's all I wanted!!  There are many breeds that we admire for many different reasons.  But a good looking dog is gonna get our attention no matter the type!  So, what is so PROFOUND about Kaiya's first attempt at haiku is NOT that Devon loves dogs.  It's that in her humble opinion, Daddy loves dogs the way that SHE loves ME!  The love connection between her dad and myself doesn't seem to register at all! 

                                                                        WHAT??!!


Kids are painfully honest and I think Devon was amazed that his love for canines was so OBVIOUS!!!  What can I say?  The Kids definitely keep it real!  More to come, y'all.....

No comments:

Post a Comment